We give because God first gave to us. One way we express our gratitude is through six special denominational Sunday offerings each year. They are received for various ministries and recommended for certain times of the year, although they can be received at any time.
Here’s the dates of each of the Special Sundays in 2018 and how the funds collected for them are used.
2018 dates and descriptions
- Human Relations Day Sunday, January 14, 2018, is usually received on the Sunday before Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. It helps support outreach to people living on the margins of society in communities in the United States and Puerto Rico.
- UMCOR Sunday, March 11, 2018 formerly One Great Hour of Sharing, is usually received during Lent. It enables the United Methodist Committee of Relief (UMCOR) to reach out and ease pain and suffering by providing humanitarian aid after disasters. This offering covers administrative expenses so that 100 percent of donations given to particular UMCOR projects and appeals can go directly to them.
- Native American Ministry Sunday (NAMS), April 15, 2018, is usually received third Sunday after Easter, nurtures mission with Native Americans and provides scholarships for United Methodist Native American seminarians.
- Peace with Justice Sunday, May 27, 2018, is usually received first Sunday after Pentecost, enables The United Methodist Church to have a voice in advocating for peace and justice through a broad spectrum of global programs.
- World Communion Sunday, October 7, 2018, is usually received first Sunday in October, provides scholarships for U.S. racial-and ethnic-minority students and international students, on both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- United Methodist Student Day, November 25, 2018, is usually received Last Sunday of November, furnishes scholarships and loans for student attending United Methodist-related and other accredited colleges and universities.
Human Relations Day Sunday: January 20, 2019
UMCOR Sunday: March 31, 2019
NAMS: May 5, 2019
Peace with Justice Sunday: June 16, 2019
World Communion Sunday: October 6, 2019
United Methodist Student Day: November 24, 2019
Other special offerings
In addition to the special offerings listed above, Bishops’ Appeals are occasionally made by the United Methodist Council of Bishops, typically in response to a national or international disaster.
The Love Offering is also collected each year within Minnesota United Methodist churches and delivered to annual conference session. It benefits international, national, and Minnesota missions. The conference Mission Promotion Team determines the annual recipients.
For more information on the six Special Sundays, visit umcgiving.org.