The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is currently working with disaster coordinators and early response teams to provide relief to the many people whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storms Harvey and Irma. Many churches and individuals have been asking how they can help. Here are five great suggestions (download bulletin insert with suggestions).
1. Continue to pray for those whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storms Harvey and Irma. Please also pray for the Early Response Teams, disaster coordinators, and many volunteers in The Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Louisiana Conference of The United Methodist Church, Río Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church and Central Texas Conference who are working tirelessly to provide relief after Harvey.
2. Make relief kits. Tanya Oberg from the Minnesota Conference has volunteered to help transport the kits to the Midwest Mission Distribution Center. Contact her (firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-202-3769) to make arrangements to get your completed kits to her. Please include $1.50 per completed bucket for transport costs. A check for the total amount can be made out to MMDC.
3. Give to UMCOR's relief and recovery efforts: U.S. Disaster Response, Advance #901670. To keep relief supplies in stock, give to Material Resources, Advance #901440.
4. Donate only what is needed. This will ensure that your donation is used as effectively as possible and that people in need are getting exactly what's most helpful to them.
5. Wait for an invitation to go to assist in person. But if this is something you're interested in doing, the Minnesota Disaster Response Team is offering a training course on Sept. 30 at Good Samaritan UMC in Edina and on Oct. 7 at Bethlehem UMC in Hutchinson for those interested in volunteering for hurricane relief through UMCOR. Becoming an Emergency Response Team (ERT) member gives you the credentials to enter disaster torn areas. ERTs from Minnesota will be responding to the most recent hurricanes and are planning trips in late October and early November. You must have completed this training and have a successful background check on file with the conference in order to volunteer. Learn more and register
Minnesota Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church