Lay Ministry Resources
What is Lay Leadership?
An effective lay leader functions as the primary representative and role model of Christian discipleship and faith lived out in the church and in daily life. The lay leader works with the pastor to fulfill the mission and vision of the congregation. Learn about the role of a lay leader in the UMC.
Learn about Laity Sunday.
Lay Ladership Resources
- Dancing with Words by Ray Buckley
- Tell Stories by Ray Buckley
- Speaking Well by Adam Hamilton
- Five Marks of a Methodist: The Fruit of a Living Faith by Steve Harper
- Three Simple Questions: Knowing the God of Love, Hope and Purpose by Rueben P. Job
- Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living by Reuben P. Job
- Three Simple Rules that Will Change the World by Reuben P. Job
- Can You Just Get Them Through Until Christmas? The Turnaround Story of One Lay Minister and Two Small, Rural Churches by Pastor Margie Briggs (Note: This is written by a lay speaker who agreed to “temporarily” lead two small churches. You will need tissues! It is evidence of the ministry that laity can provide.)
Care Ministry Resources
Beyond the Broken Heart: A Journey through Grief curriculum. This is just ONE OF MANY RESOURCES available at sharechurch.com, offered by Church of the Resurrection. Users must register and create a password to have access to this resource library that includes information in the categories of curriculum, ministry forms, creative ideas, training, podcasts, & sermon series.
- The Caring Congregation: Training Manual and Resource Guide by Karen Lampe
- Aging and Ministry in the 21st Century: An Inquiry Approach by Richard H. Gentzler, Jr.
- Living Compassion: Loving Like Jesus by Andrew Dreitcer
- Pastoral Prayers for the Hospital Visit by Sara Webb Phillips
- Moving Miss Peggy by Robert Benson
- Pray for Me: The Power in Praying for Others by Kenneth H. Carter Jr.