Reopening and Dedication at Ottawa Church
Come to a reopening celebration and the dedication of a new bell tower at the little stone church in Ottawa, a United Methodist historic site.
Ottawa Church was originally named “Minnewashta” (good water), and in 1856 renamed Ottawa Methodist Episcopal Church in honor of the Algonquin Indian tribe. Built in 1859 of native pink stone, the church is one of the three oldest German Methodist buildings in Minnesota. Closed in 1952, the building, while no longer a place of worship, remains the focus of Ottawa pride. Ottawa became a Minnesota Conference Historic Site in 1968. The building is preserved as an historical site in memory of Christian pioneers by the LeSueur County Historical Society. Restored and refurbished, the building was rededicated on Sunday, September 22, 1968, and now houses artifacts and memorabilia. This site has been registered with the General Commission on Archives and History #473.
Find the location on Google Maps here.