Brooklyn UMC in Brooklyn Center seeks a part-time visitation pastor to provide visitation and pastoral care to a large multi-cultural congregation.
Being God’s heart and hands is the very purpose of our Pastoral Care Ministry. Caring for a person who is struggling with a difficulty, being present during a time of pain, praying with someone in a crisis—these are the moments when God works through pastoral care workers. Pastoral care through personal contact, prayer, caring correspondence, emotional and practical support is a critical element of the church. Through our care ministry we reaffirm the love and care of God, as well as one’s brothers and sisters in Christ.
This position is responsible for visitation and pastoral care that best reflects the mission of our multi-cultural and multi-generational church of 330 active parishioners. S/he provides emotional/spiritual support to parishioners, their loved ones, and as appropriate, to staff. S/he coordinates and trains the various volunteer Care Teams in the church and serves as liaison between these groups, the pastors and the staff.
- Meet regularly with the pastors regularly to identify members of the congregation who need help and what the volunteer Care Teams are doing to help parishioners.
- Co-coordinate with the pastors the timely delivery of pastoral care in a wide variety of situations, including illness, death and dying, and individuals or families in crisis.
- Maintain parishioner-in-need lists, readily available to the pastoral staff.
- Coordinate, recruit members for, and train volunteers to serve on care teams, which broaden the church’s ability to respond to the significant demand for pastoral care.
- Regularly meet with volunteer Care Teams to coordinate their activities.
- Draft policies and procedures that affect volunteer care work.
- Coordinate the assistance to parishioners with lifestyle changes &/or transitions.
- Coordinate with the Office Administrator regarding the prayer list in the weekly bulletin.
- Participate in staff meetings on a regular basis
- A college degree or 3-5 years of experience in pastoral care. An ordained minister would be a definite plus.
- Familiarity and comfort with United Methodist theology, practices
- Emotional energy and mental alertness
- A team player who manages his/her time effectively and efficiently
- Ability to connect well with staff and congregants on a personal, face-to-face basis to understand their needs and desires
- Cross-cultural experience and sensitivity
- Ability to handle stress associated with ministering to parishioners and their loved ones who experience pain, suffering, death and grief
- Completion of a Pastoral Care course or willingness to enrol in such a course
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
28 hours/week, $20-25/hour based on qualifications. Visitation travel reimbursed at BUMC standard rate.
Send application letter, resume and reference information to: email@example.com to the attention of Lois Purdham, Chair PPRC
Or send hard copies to:
Lois Purdham, Chair PPRC, Brooklyn United Methodist Church, 7200 Brooklyn Blvd., Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
May 31, 2018
Contact: Lois Purdham, Chair PPRC
Brooklyn United Methodist Church, 7200 Brooklyn Blvd., Brooklyn Center, MN 55429