Brooklyn UMC is seeking a part-time accompanist for its traditional first service and its choirs.
This position provides appropriate, inspiring, and excellent sacred organ/piano music for the traditional Sunday first service, weekly choir rehearsals, and rehearsals of occasional soloists and instrumental groups. This position also provides organ/piano music for weddings and funerals. It is a salary (not overtime), restricted part-time twelve-month position.
This position reports to the music director of the first service. This position works with the sanctuary choir, contemporary choir, instrumentalists, and vocal soloists.
Hours: 10 hours/week. If candidates wish to be considered for a combined musical director of the first service and accompanist position (see Musical Director – First Service job description), hours would be 28 hours/week.
- Use music to create a space that is inspirational, exciting, and sacred, and that will open people’s hearts to the larger worship experience.
- Provide organ music (typically prelude, postlude, hymns, and monthly communion background music) and choir accompaniments in the weekly 9 a.m. first service, or occasionally a combined service. (approximately 1 ½ hours/week)
- Accompany the sanctuary and contemporary choirs in their weekly rehearsals. (approximately 2 hours/week, September-May)
- Provide organ or piano accompaniment and rehearsal time as needed for musical ensembles during the summer months. (approximately 2 hours/week, June-August)
- Thoroughly prepare all musical selections. (approximately 2 hours/week outside of formal rehearsal times)
- Provide organ or piano music and choral accompaniment, and any extra rehearsal required, for additional special services, including but not limited to Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Christmas Eve.
- Provide organ and/or piano music for weddings, funerals and memorials and is permitted to receive additional compensation for these additional services by the outside contracted services. (approximately 2 hours/month)
- Coordinate regularly with the music director of the first service.
- Arrange for a replacement when unavailable, in coordination with the music director of the first service.
- This position has the authority to choose sacred prelude and postlude music, appropriate to the liturgical season.
- A passion for music ministry.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Music, with specific training in choral and instrumental accompaniment.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience performing as both an organist and a pianist.
- Excellent organ and piano skills, technical dexterity and accuracy, command of the instrument, improvisatory skills a plus, knowledge of classical organ repertoire.
- Ability to play a variety of different musical styles.
- Ability to play hymns with proficiency and sensitivity. Ability to improvise, expand the accompaniment for congregational singing beyond the written page, and modulate hymns to new keys are all pluses.
- Excellent accompanying and sight-reading skills. Must be able to follow direction of the music director of the first service closely while accompanying choral ensembles.
- Must have knowledge and love of a diverse range of sacred, traditional, and contemporary music. Working knowledge of United Methodist musical history is a plus.
- Must be a team player, able to work in a collaborative environment and develop positive working relationships with staff and volunteer choir members.
- Have a sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrate responsibility, flexibility, self-motivation, and creativity.
It is a salary (not overtime), restricted part-time twelve-month position.
Submit an application letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Chair, Pastor Parish Relations Committee, Brooklyn United Methodist Church, 7200 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
September 30, 2021
Contact: Chair, Pastor Parish Relations Committee
7200 Brooklyn Boulevard Brooklyn Center MN 55429