Brooklyn UMC is seeking a part-time music director for its traditional first service and its choirs. This position may be combined with the Accompanist position.
The music director leads first service parishioners of all ages in appropriate, inspiring, and highest quality music-making experiences that contribute to a deeper connection to the sacred and divine in parishioners’ lives. This position is a salary (not overtime), restricted part-time twelve-month position.
This position reports to the senior pastor. This position supervises the accompanist, first service sound technician(s), and volunteer music librarians. This position works with the sanctuary choir, contemporary choir, bell choir, instrumentalists, and vocal soloists. This position also works with the worship committee.
Hours: 20 hours/week. If candidates wish to be considered for a combined Musical Director – First Service and Accompanist position (see Accompanist job description), hours would be 28 hours/week.
- Promote the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministry.
- Plan for worship with the pastors, accompanist and worship committee and any others who may be responsible for planning and leading worship, at least quarterly. This cooperative planning, led by the senior pastor, will outline all worship services, including the use of Scripture, music, and special services.
- Based on the worship plans, choose music appropriate to the themes of a given service.
- Develop, motivate, and lead our volunteer adult choirs (sanctuary, contemporary, and bell) in regular rehearsals and in worship (approximately 4 hours/week, less in summer).
- Initiate and conduct, by delegation if necessary, a continuous recruiting process for the choirs.
- Preview and purchase new music as needed and oversee the music library.
- Remain current and aware of developments in sacred music of various styles (classic, gospel, contemporary, etc.)
- Develop musical teams and ensembles for Sundays and special services.
- Supervise the care and maintenance of the pipe organ, pianos, keyboard, bells, and other ancillary music equipment.
- Regularly attend staff meetings.
- Upon consultation with the pastors and the worship committee, prepare and submit an annual music budget for the first service choirs to the finance committee.
- Purchase new music when needed and manage expenditures to conform to the approved budget.
- This position has the authority to determine spending relevant to needs of first service music ministries.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education with specific training in choral and instrumental conducting.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience conducting and developing choral ensembles. Experience with bell choirs is a plus.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, encourage improvement, and motivate musicians.
- Working knowledge of United Methodist theology and musical history.
- Must have knowledge and love of a diverse range of sacred, traditional, and contemporary music.
- Professional or semi-professional singer or musician (guitar, piano, trumpet, etc.) is a plus.
- Must be a team player, able to work in a collaborative environment and develop positive working relationships with staff and volunteer choir members.
- A sense of humor and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrate responsibility, flexibility, self-motivation, and creativity.
This position is a salary (not overtime), restricted part-time twelve-month position.
Submit an application letter and a resume, to email@example.com or by mail to: Chair, Pastor Parish Relations Committee, Brooklyn United Methodist Church, 7200 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
September 30, 2021
Contact: Chair, Pastor Parish Relations
Brooklyn United Methodist Church, 7200 Brooklyn Boulevard Brooklyn Center MN 55429