Northeast UMC in Minneapolis is seeking a part-time kids' discipleship leader.
Objective: Engage kids and families in the story of Jesus through creativity, creation care, and cultivating a safe, creative, and compassionate ecosystem of learning and joy.
Summary: This is a part-time, non-benefited position, approximately 12-15 hours a week. Two weeks of paid vacation is available within a fiscal year. Christmas Week and Holy Week are exempt from vacation days, except in the case of life, death or near-death emergencies.
Reports to: Lead Pastor
- Initiate, build and maintain authentic relationships with children, parents and volunteers both within the church community and in the surrounding neighborhood
- Imagine, develop and communicate a programming plan, curriculum, and community events that align with Northeast UMC’s mission, vision and values with an eye towards connecting with new people; assess and evaluate success, failures, and relevance of programming and adjust accordingly
- Collaborate with church members and volunteers to coordinate Eco-Kids Camp
- Recruit, develop, train and appreciate a team of adult volunteers and mentors to serve
- Foster congregational awareness and involvement with children and family ministry through intergenerational programming opportunities and worship service involvement
- Provide targeted, effective and consistent communication and promotion of activities including impact stories to kids, parents and congregation via appropriate communication channels.
- Manage kids & family ministry budget and finances
- Participate in regular check-ins with pastor and staff.
- Be a present and engaged participant in standing church programs and worship services (including special services like Good Friday & Christmas Eve services).
- Other duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor
- Embrace and support Northeast UMC’s mission of engaging neighbors in the story of Jesus through creativity, creation care.
- Establish an inclusive, safe, and welcoming environment; foster discipleship, encourage thinking and sharing, and be aware and responsive regarding emotional and mental health among children.
- Help parents and guardians inspire curiosity and spiritual interest in their children; equip parents and guardians with resources to be the primary influencers of faith formation
- Demonstrate initiative in problem-solving, both long-term and last-minute.
- Display a willingness to serve and collaborate with others.
- Responsive communication with staff and lay people
- Maintain consistent attendance throughout the year and follow absence policy.
- If at any time the Kids’ Discipleship Leader wishes to discontinue his/her services, he/she must give a 30-day written notice to the Lead Pastor & Council.
- If at any time the Lead Pastor and Council wishes to discontinue the services, they will give a 30-day written notice to the Kids’ Discipleship Leader.
- The Lead Pastor, Council representative, and the Kids’ Discipleship Leader will review his/her performance within 90 days of hiring.
- One to three years of related experience
- Associate's Degree preferred
- Familiar/open to and comfortable with progressive Methodist theology
- Passion for engaging and nurturing children, and families
- Flexibility in hours and scheduling
- Ability to successfully pass a background check
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Cynthia Sowden at firstname.lastname@example.org and Pastor Leah Challberg at email@example.com.
August 1, 2019
Contact: Leah Challberg
Northeast UMC, 2510 Cleveland St. NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418