Christ UMC in Rochester is seeking a three-quarters-time director of youth ministries (DYM) to guide and direct discipleship and engagement with middle and high school students.
The DYM focuses on relationship building, sharing and nurturing faith with youth and their families, and empowering servant leadership in youth. The DYM serves as the primary spiritual leader for youth and works with church leadership to integrate youth ministry throughout the church. This includes leading and implementing opportunities for learning, serving and fellowship. The DYM ensures the overall youth ministry fosters an engaging, fun, safe and inclusive environment for youth faith formation.
The position is 30 hours per week. The director of youth ministries reports to the executive pastor.
Our hiring practices at Christ United Methodist Church (CUMC) are aligned with our welcoming statement: With open hearts, open minds and open doors, we welcome people of all races, nationalities, theologies and abilities. We welcome people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We offer a safe and compassionate place to reconcile faith, identity, hope, understanding and mutual respect.
Discipleship with youth
Community building and outreach
- Coordinate with clergy, youth volunteers and Faith to Life team to clearly articulate and implement a spiritually grounded and comprehensive discipleship journey for youth
- Design, organize, and lead a variety of activities to attract, engage and disciple youth. This includes weekly meetings, Bible studies and covenant groups, service opportunities, mission projects and trips, retreats and weekend events, and special events
- Invite, recruit, support and supervise adults volunteering with the youth ministry
- Participate in and leads aspects of Wednesday evening programming as coordinated with the clergy and director of children’s ministries
- Participate in Sunday worship as invited by the lead pastor
Communication and administration
- Cultivate a culture of invitation, engagement, and belonging for youth and families
- Coordinate with the clergy for celebration and support of youth entering middle and high school, participating in confirmation, graduating from high school, and experiencing other church and life milestone events.
- Cultivate relationship within and between families
- Provide parent education and support as appropriate in collaboration with the clergy
- Create and support projects for intergenerational engagement in collaboration with the director of children’s ministries
- Collaborate with the executive pastor to ensure Safe Sanctuary policy is implemented and training completed for all volunteers with the youth ministry. Reports concerns to the executive pastor or the lead pastor
- Collaborate with the director of operations to ensure demographic data about youth and families is collected and maintained
- Provide excellent communication about events and opportunities for children, youth, and families in the church and community. Communication includes direct engagement with youth and families in addition to collaborating with the clergy, director of children’s ministries and director of communications
- Maintain safe and appropriate staffing for children and youth programs
- Attend weekly staff meetings
Education and experience
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Christ United Methodist Church
- Witness an active and vibrant Christian faith
- Serve as a guide for being a disciple of Jesus Christ
- Share faith and nurture servant leadership in others
Additional qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Children, Youth, and Family Ministries plus one year experience or education and experience commensurate with this level of preparation
- Ability to comfortably discuss and teach Christian teachings and scripture, particularly Wesleyan and United Methodist theology
- Experience developing and maintaining an effective team
- Experience collaborating with staff and volunteers
- Effective administration and organizational skills, including program design and budgeting
- Possess a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and maintain proper level of insurance
- Complete and receive satisfactory results of a pre-employment criminal background screening
- Complete CUMC Safe Sanctuaries training
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to Rev. Kirkland Reynolds at email@example.com.
Contact: Rev. Kirkland Reynolds, Executive Pastor
Christ UMC, 400 5th Ave. SW, Rochester, MN 55902
Email: Click to email