Start: Ideally by June but flexible on start date
Messiah UMC in Plymouth is seeking a part-time to full-time director of children’s and family ministry.
The director of children’s and family ministry will prayerfully and passionately strive to partner with families in enthusiastically guiding children towards a H.E.A.R.T. for Christ so that they might grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
H: Heart-felt relationship with Jesus and the Messiah Church family
E: Engaging, Bible-centered learning
A: Authentic, child and family centered worship experiences
R: Real and relevant serving and missional opportunities
T: Touching lives with the Good News of the Gospel
We are looking for the right person to lead and grow this ministry. Responsibilities can tailored to meet a half-time position with expectations that it will grow to a full-time position.
Faith Formation and Education
- Develop and execute a vision for the Children and Family Ministry program, collaborating with volunteers and aligned with Messiah’s overall vision and mission.
- Grow all aspects of the Children & Family Ministry program (Early Childhood, school aged children, and family ministries)
- Encourage others to enter the path of discipleship as defined by Messiah Church
- Focus on the spiritual growth of children and their families by creating strong, Biblically-based programs and study in a safe, loving and Christ-centered environment
- Maintain a team approach by continually inviting, training, and praying for servants who serve in the Children and Family Ministry
- Focus on special education opportunities, outreach, etc.
Leadership and Administration
- Advocate and pray for children; provide for their spiritual needs
- Inspire and expand a strong, Biblically focused Church School (pre-school through grade 5) with special focus on fourth and fifth graders
- Coordinate ministry with other ministry areas such as Prayer Partners
- Develop mid-week children’s programming as part of the Family Life Ministry
Building Strong Families and Community
- Recruit and develop volunteers in a variety of roles including Church School teachers/small group leader, greeters, Core team leaders, etc.
- Implement educational practices and classroom management with care given to special needs and learning disabilities (ADD, ADHD, autism spectrum, etc.)
- Emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion
- Hire, supervise, and train paid nursery care staff
- Communicate effectively with children, families, volunteers and staff members utilizing media relevant to each group (i.e. traditional methods, web, and social media)
- Maintain attendance numbers, registration forms, and computer check-in system
- Write forms, brochures and handbooks for families and employees
- Encourage and support parents in guiding their children’s spiritual growth
- Meet regularly with parents, in groups or individually, to form connections, deepen relationships and invite to connect in faith groups
- Coordinate grade level ministry Milestone events
- Create social opportunities for families to connect
- Lead family-centered service and mission projects
- Facilitate, coordinate and support seasonal events, including Vacation Bible Camp, Christmas Pageant, etc.
- Continue to build relationship with Bloom families
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in related field preferred.
Soft skills: Communicator, Adaptable, Teambuilder, Creative, Problem solver
Send a Letter of Interest and Resume to Tami Luckhardt, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Half- to full-time
Contact: Tami Luckhardt
Messiah UMC, 17805 County Road 6, Plymouth, MN 55447