Peace UMC in Shoreview is seeking a part-time director of administration who, under the supervision of the lead pastor, directs the administrative and operational activities of the church office, and plays an important role in coordinating committees, communication, and church activities (calendaring).
This role is part-time (estimated at 18 hours/ week).
Peace Purpose Statement
Peace is a progressive, multi-generational community of faith called to engage our world through the power of God’s love. We seek to accomplish this by respectfully:
Mission and Core Values
- Affirming that all people are a gift of God’s love
- Nurturing ourselves and inviting all into God’s love and peace through eclectic worship, exploring questions of faith and addressing challenging issues of our day
- Inspiring hope through community action, advocacy and service, taking our faith into the world together.
Our mission is to witness to Jesus Christ in the world and to follow Jesus’ teachings through acts of compassion, justice, worship and devotion under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
More specifically our congregation...
Statement of Reconciliation
- Is respectful and loving of all
- Is an open and affirming congregation, welcome to people of all sexual orientations, religious views and ethnicities
- Serves the least, the lost and the left out
- Uses inclusive language in our teachings and music
- Is committed to music in worship
- Is committed to excellent children, youth and adult education programs
- Provides opportunities for fellowship
- Partners with other groups for community improvement
- Has a strong commitment to community-based services and support
Peace United Methodist Church is a place of peace for all that choose to enter the doors. We seek to be an inclusive Christian community believing that we are all children of God, and that God loves us all equally regardless of age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, physical, mental and emotional abilities. As a Reconciling Congregation we specifically welcome lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends, and embrace them as full members of the family of God.
We respect the diversity of opinions and the Scripture, tradition, experience and reason that lead us to various conclusions, believing that prejudice, hatred, and discrimination directed toward any individual or group are contrary to the life and spirit of Jesus Christ. Therefore, we shall work to eliminate prejudice and discriminatory practices within our church, our community, and ourselves. With God’s help we shall strive to build bridges and promote a ministry of reconciliation.
- Maintain an updated list of all Peace committees
- Train committee chairs in digital communication ○ Posting meeting minutes on Google Drive, emailing meeting notices, etc
- Update calendar ○ Committee meeting dates/ times/ locations ○ Room rental and usage ○ Staff meetings
- Assist lead pastor with renters and non-church users ○ Organize rental agreements ○ Monitor end of use and renewal for rental agreements ○ Schedule usage and protocols with renters
- Coordinate maintenance (snow plowing, fire extinguishers, repairs, copier, etc.)
- Help maintain office equipment and IT software (working with volunteer IT person)
- Order office/ church supplies
- Sort mail
- Respond to email and voicemail requests and questions
- Manage church policies in Google Drive
- Order altar and holiday flowers (utilize Hospitality/ Care Committee)
- Track pledges and contributions
- Organize weekly giving ○ Count receipts from Sunday offering and mailed checks ○ Help prepare deposit ○ Enter deposit information in Simple Church and ParishSoft
- Serve as ex-officio member of Finance Committee ○ Provide monthly data on pledges and contributions prior to meeting
- Organize and mail quarterly year-to-date statements
- Assist members or regular attenders as needed with ACH or Simple Church giving processes
- Work closely with bookkeeper ○ Forward invoices, billing, requests for payment, and receipts ○ Coordinate and provide staff credit card and other expenditures to bookkeeper
- Complete yearly annual conference financial reports
- Coordinate and assist with Stewardship campaign ○ Draft budget with Lead Pastor ○ Help with mailings ○ Enter and track commitments
- Participate in year-end reconciling of financials with bookkeeper and finance secretary
- Close out year-end payroll and financials
- Enter payroll and perform direct deposits
- File and pay Minnesota and Federal quarterly and year-end taxes
- Generate W2s and W3s
- Monitor checking account balance monthly
- Maintain current membership and information in Simple Church ○ Email, address, phone number, etc. ○ Financial information - pledges and contributions ○ Attendance
- Enter visitor information and follow-up as directed by hospitality committee
- Track member attendance and report inactivity to the Pastor
- Assist in the management and delivery of recurring communications
- Assist in the ordering, printing and distributing of Sunday school, CIA and VBS material
- Assist in the printing of Sunday worship and children’s bulletins
- Provides support to other staff as needed
- Create volunteer schedules for and send reminders to readers, greeters, ushers and communion servers
- Familiarity with general office procedures either through formal training or equivalent experience
- Previous work experience in an office environment is preferred
- Must be familiar with general bookkeeping, accounting, payroll, and tax procedures
- Must be computer literate with knowledge of appropriate web-based technology including ○ Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.
- Must possess good organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Must be motivated to seek training as necessary
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email an updated resume and cover letter to the following two people: Jason Steffenhagen (Pastor): firstname.lastname@example.org Dave Findell (Member SPRC): email@example.com In the subject line of your email, please make sure to identify the position you are applying for and your name (ex. Director of Administration - Steffenhagen). In your email or on your resume, please make sure that you provide a phone number where we can easily reach you.
Contact: Jason Steffenhagen
5050 Hodgson Road, Shoreview, MN 55126,
Email: Click to email