The director/associate pastor of youth and young adult ministries will join our ministry teams to develop youth and young adult ministries that teach and support all five HAUMC CORE Practices. They are: passionate worship, intentional faith development, radical hospitality, risk-taking mission and service, and extravagant generosity. Our director of youth and young adult ministries will lead youth and young adults to cultivate Christian practices that will equip them to be centered, open, receptive, and engaged with God and the world for lifelong fruitful ministry. Teaching and living these CORE practices is best done in a highly relational ministry so that youth and young adults experience unconditional love, forgiveness, and acceptance and can learn to share that same lifegiving love with others. As we practice together, we help each other learn how to live in the world as people with faith and love that can transform the world.
Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church (HAUMC) is a vital, regional church in the heart of downtown Minneapolis, serving with people from all over the Twin Cities metro area. HAUMC welcomes and affirms all people and we continue to work for full inclusion of all people. We believe that Jesus calls us to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We believe we do this best when we help each other grow in love of God and neighbor, welcome new people and heal a broken world. We are engaged in local, national and global service to heal our planet and our world.
Vision for Youth and Young Adult Ministries:
Make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world by helping youth and young adults grow in their love of God and neighbor, reach out to love new people and heal a broken world as they live their faith every where and every day.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The director/associate pastor of youth and young adult ministries will be responsible to the United Methodist Guidelines for Youth Ministries, the HAUMC Employee Handbook, the senior pastor, and the Staff Parish Relations Committee. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: weekly staff meetings, practice sessions for Intentional Faith Development, Youth Team and Young Adult Team.
The primary task of youth and young adult ministry is to:
- love youth and young adults and engage with them where they are and no matter who they are
- encourage youth and young adults to question, learn, grow and choose to follow Jesus as they grow in their love of God and neighbors
- model a growing faith that reflects the best of our Wesleyan doctrine and is contagious, compelling and curious
- provide youth and young adults opportunities to invite their friends
- challenge youth and young adults to respond to God’s call to serve and heal a broken world.
- Advocate for youth and empower youth to advocate for themselves.
- Lead, plan, develop all aspects of youth ministry with adult leaders who love kids. Our youth and young adult ministries will teach and support the CORE practices of HAUMC.
- Recruit, train, develop, equip and support the work of the Youth Team and other adult leaders in an annual process of planning, implementing, and evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry in alignment with the overall ministry of HAUMC.
- Empower, equip and mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Seek out best practices and resources for developing the youth and young adult ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Invest time in community organizations, conference relationships, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries to create partnerships for youth ministry.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 8-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with the director of family and children’s ministry.
- Lead Confirmation Ministry and provide support for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
- Keep records of youth and young adult participation, create budgets and manage them.
- Communicate in a timely manner to maximize participation and awareness of the youth and young adult ministries of HAUMC. Utilize all available resources (email, social media, website, bulletin, newsletter, etc.) to ensure timely and consistent communications with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Reach out to initiate and deepen relationships with youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.) including HAUMC youth, their friends and youth in the community.
- Work collaboratively with other staff members and cultivate healthy teamwork.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuaries Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Must be a passionate follower of Jesus Christ with a desire to continually grow in your own faith.
- Must embrace Wesleyan doctrine and theology.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred. Professional Certification in Youth Ministry in the United Methodist Church is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, plan, develop, recruit and empower volunteers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including all forms of social media, relational skills, and computer skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with youth and adult volunteers.
$35,000-$60,000 DOE and health insurance, dental, pension.
Please direct inquiries and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2019.
Full-time position or two part-time positions. 30 hours per week devoted to leading our youth ministry and 10 hours per week to coordinate young adult ministry. Position could be covered by two people.
Hennepin Avenue UMC, 511 Groveland Ave., Minneapolis MN 55403