The Choir Director/Organist leads the congregation and choir in Christian worship through sensitive and faithful expression of music.
Community United Methodist church is located just north of downtown Minneapolis, in the city of Columbia Heights. The choir director/organist will provide music and to lead the choir in weekly and special services. This position may be split into separate choir director and organist/accompanist positions depending on applicant skills and experience.
This is non-benefited position, 10-15 hours per week. No paid sick time or vacation time. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Conduct the rehearsals and lead the performance of the choir
- Make recommendations for music to be used at future services
- Lead the accompany the choir in special services (Ash Wednesday, Lenten services, Holy Week, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve) or decided by pastor.
- Coordinate the services of guest musicians to accompany the choir or provide music for Sunday service.
- Confirm music to be played on Sunday or special events with Pastor and office coordinator prior to printing of the weekly bulletin.
- Practice and perform the service music at all regular and special worship services held at or by Community UMC.
- Attend meetings as necessary.
- Collaborate with pastor to choose music for yearly calendar
- Provide support for Sunday school music program
- Provide music when available and requested at funerals or wedding including first right of refusal.
- Maintain music library and instruments
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a person of Christian faith.
- A degree in music or related field and experience directing a choir.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of music on organ and piano, preferred.
- Preferred experience in securing the services of guest musicians to accompany the choir or provide music for services.
- The pastor is the head of the staff and supervises this staff position
- The pastor will conduct a yearly performance evaluation
- Responsible for scheduling a back-up person if you are unavailable
- Accountable for choir budget
- Pastor has final say on music performed at any service
- Salary and job description to be reviewed annually
Part-time (10-15 hours per week)
Community UMC, 950 Gould Ave. NE, Minneapolis, MN 55421