The choir director, under the supervision of the lead pastor, is responsible for selecting music, leading rehearsals, and directing the choir. This role is part-time (estimated at 3-5 hours/ week).
Peace Purpose Statement
Peace is a progressive, multi-generational community of faith called to engage our world through the power of God’s love. We seek to accomplish this by respectfully:
Mission and Core Values
- Affirming that all people are a gift of God’s love
- Nurturing ourselves and inviting all into God’s love and peace through eclectic worship, exploring questions of faith and addressing challenging issues of our day
- Inspiring hope through community action, advocacy and service, taking our faith into the world together.
Our mission is to witness to Jesus Christ in the world and to follow Jesus’ teachings through acts of compassion, justice, worship and devotion under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
More specifically our congregation...
Statement of Reconciliation
- Is respectful and loving of all
- Is an open and affirming congregation, welcome to people of all sexual orientations, religious views and ethnicities
- Serves the least, the lost and the left out
- Uses inclusive language in our teachings and music
- Is committed to music in worship
- Is committed to excellent children, youth and adult education programs
- Provides opportunities for fellowship
- Partners with other groups for community improvement
- Has a strong commitment to community-based services and support
Peace United Methodist Church is a place of peace for all that choose to enter the doors. We seek to be an inclusive Christian community believing that we are all children of God, and that God loves us all equally regardless of age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, physical, mental and emotional abilities. As a Reconciling Congregation we specifically welcome lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends, and embrace them as full members of the family of God.
We respect the diversity of opinions and the Scripture, tradition, experience and reason that lead us to various conclusions, believing that prejudice, hatred, and discrimination directed toward any individual or group are contrary to the life and spirit of Jesus Christ. Therefore, we shall work to eliminate prejudice and discriminatory practices within our church, our community, and ourselves. With God’s help we shall strive to build bridges and promote a ministry of reconciliation.
Choral Directing and Rehearsals
Choir as Ministry
- Select music that aligns with the themes of sermon series
- Music selections include choir-only pieces and congregational worship
- Choir will plan to sing once-per-month on Sunday morning and once-per-month at local care facility
- Special events may also necessitate choral pieces (such as Christmas Eve, Easter, Ash Wednesday, etc.)
- Recruit new choir members
- Meet weekly for one hour to rehearse
- Must find substitute choir director when needed
- If possible, invite local musicians to accompany choir
- Create space for relationship building
- Provide scriptural connection to music selections
- Be willing to prayerfully support the members of the choir
- Previous experience in choral directing
- Knowledge of vocal pedagogy
- Proficiency in piano desired
- Willing and able to work with musicians of varying backgrounds and skill levels
- Must possess good organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Must be motivated to work with volunteers
- Not required to attend Peace as home church, but recommended
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email an updated resume and cover letter to the following two people: Jason Steffenhagen (Pastor): email@example.com Lori Ruble (Member SPRC): firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line of your email, please make sure to identify the position you are applying for and your name (ex. Choir Director - Steffenhagen). In your email or on your resume, please make sure that you provide a phone number where we can easily reach you.
Contact: Jason Steffenhagen
5050 Hodgson Road, Shoreview, MN 55126,
Email: Click to email