REPORTS TO: Director of Finance and Administration
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To manage records of the conference, particularly identifying, collecting, preserving, and making available for use those with legal, evidential, and historical significance.
- Permanent records of legal and historical significance of the annual conference and its churches catalogued and maintained.
- Conference staff will recognize and care for non-permanent records, keeping them for appropriate periods-of-time before disposal.
- Local churches will have access to guidance on maintaining their own records.
- Fulfill expectations of the 2016 United Methodist Book of Discipline (¶640).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide research assistance to staff, congregations, and individuals.
- Identify/solicit/receive collections.
- Develop/implement records management plan for conference agencies and offices by following the recommendations provided by the General Commission on Archives and History, which is updated quadrennially.
- Consult with Conference Technology Coordinator on implementation of Mfiles.
- Arrange and describe collections:
- Maintain Past Perfect Museum Software Database and Online website.
- Create finding aids; this is being accomplished through the Past Perfect Museum Software Database.
- Write history related articles for Conference Communications team when asked.
- Assist local church historians and records and history committees in establishing and servicing congregational archives
- Staff Conference Commission on Archives and History.
- Participate in denominational archival activities, primarily those connected to the North Central Jurisdiction.
- Liaison with United Methodist Historical Society of Minnesota.
- Direct volunteers, when suitable persons are available, in helping to carry out these responsibilities.
- Conference Staff
- Elected conference leaders
- Pastors, congregations
- Individuals and organizations beyond United Methodists in Minnesota
- Understanding of records and archival management
- Strong organizational skills
- Shares vision/mission of the annual conference
Certified Archivist and/or Certified Records Manager or
bachelor’s degree plus advanced archival and records management training or
bachelor’s degree plus two years or more of work experience in archives and records management.
- Computer competent including databases
- Working with individuals, groups
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Non-exempt Position, part-time 20 hours per week
- Occasionally required to stand.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Frequently required to sit.
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Continually required to talk or hear.
- Continually required to utilize visual acuity to read and use a keyboard.
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items less than 50 pounds.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.