Start: January 1, 2023
This is a part-time position at the United Methodist Church of Anoka (UMCA) responsible for directing the choir and includes other duties such as conducting vocal and instrumental ensembles, coordinating musicians schedule for worship, and collaborating with others in worship service planning. UMCA places a high value on music as a part of worship and is recognized for its music programs.
Reports to lead pastor.
Coordinates and collaborates with music coordinator and/or worship arts coordinator, organist, ensemble directors (ie bells, etc), praise hymn director, choir board, and musicians.
Anticipated 6-8 hours per week September-May, plus hours of preparation for “extra” events as outlined in Section II, and occasional hours June-August (organizational/planning time, possible summer music).
Compensation $9k+ annually, DOQ, skill and experience levels.
PTO included in this position.
Option to be compensated hourly (paid for time worked) or through an annual stipend paid in equal amounts monthly for 12 months.
- Rehearse the Chancel Choir weekly on Wednesday nights, late-August to mid-May, and direct the choir for Sunday worship services approximately twice per month September – May
- Prepare the Chancel Choir to sing two pieces (offertory and anthem) on Sundays when they are scheduled as worship musicians
- Work with the music department staff to coordinate the annual September – May musicians schedule for worship
- Communicate regularly with the Lead Pastor to coordinate themes and planning for worship services to provide consistency
- Meet monthly with (choir board and/or worship arts coordinator, TBD) to coordinate the needs and expectations of the choir and to plan ahead for the future
- Oversee the Choir Music Ministry budget and work with the Lead Pastor to keep budget spending aligned
- Organize and participate in, when appropriate, special music ensembles
- Serve as a liaison between music ministry staff and office staff
- Arrange for qualified substitute in case of absence
- Plan to participate in the following extra events throughout the year:
- Community Thanksgiving service (Tuesday before Thanksgiving) – prep choir, participate on years when UMCA hosts
- December Music Sunday (prepare extensive music with all ensembles, plan the service, coordinate with Lead Pastor)
- Christmas Eve Services (partner with other ministry staff and music staff to prepare for and participate in these services)
- Ash Wednesday service
- Holy Week services as planned with Lead Pastor and staff
- Easter Sunday (coordinate with special musicians and choir)
- Spring Music Sunday (prepare extensive music with all ensembles, plan the service, coordinate with Lead Pastor)
- Dress rehearsals for special events as needed
- Chancel Choir fundraisers as appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent experience
- Experience in conducting vocal and instrumental ensembles
- Self-directed and able to work independently to meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Experience in a worship music setting preferred
- Ability to arrange and chart music preferred
- Works well with a team
Please email your cover letter and resume to Elaine Collison at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Choir Director" in the subject line. For more information about this position, please contact Elaine Collison at 763-421-2378.
Contact: Elaine Collison
United Methodist Church of Anoka,
850 South Street,
Email: Click to email