Park Avenue UMC in Minneapolis is seeking a part-time director of congregational care to provide spiritual and emotional support, care ,and solace to congregants; organize and manage a system of pastoral and congregational care; and build and maintain community by communicating with those who are hurting, struggling, or isolated because of their living situation, illness, or other factors. This position is carried out in collaboration with the senior pastor, consistent with the vision and guiding principles of Park Avenue Church, and within the parameters of part-time employment
We will be a vibrantly Christ-centered, multiracial, multi-ethnic, inter-generational instrument of transformation, actively engaged with our urban neighborhood and our world.
Guiding Principles for All Staff and Ministries of Park Avenue UMC
1. PAUMC is committed to God's first call to LOVE. Following Jesus' invitation to love each other as we are loved, we seek to practice loving God, each other, and ourselves. When aware of our actions that do not model God's love and call of reconciliation, we strive to recognize where we have fallen short and restore relationships we have harmed.
2. PAUMC is committed to RADICAL BELONGING. Rooted in a love modeled after Jesus, we seek to set an example of the diversity of the kingdom of God. We aim to cultivate an organizational culture of radical belonging and gracious welcome for all persons in all that we do.
3. PAUMC is committed to SERVE our neighbors while expanding our regional reach. While PAUMC reaches people from the Twin Cities and beyond, the church was founded and located in our South Minneapolis neighborhood. We believe our most significant impact remains in relevant service to our immediate community.
4. PAUMC is committed to being a community of HOPE AND HEALING. In our practice of trusting the God of hope and wholeness with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, we seek to be a church of hope and healing, justice and reconciliation in a hurting and fragmented world.
Homebound, hospitalized, hurting congregants
- Initiate regular phone, Zoom, Facetime, or in-person visitation as appropriate
- Take communion to hospitalized and homebound (not during COVID)
- Order Easter and Christmas flowers and coordinate delivery for hospitalized and homebound
Serve as staff liaison to the Congregational Care Team
- Use and maintain the pastoral care communication database (Notebird): Track people in need of pastoral care, coordinate updates and tasks. As appropriate, add information to the prayer letter or other church communications; activate support from the Congregational Care team
- Maintain Pastoral Care database (Notebird) for senior pastor: Track and coordinate contacts and communicate recommended follow-up list for the senior pastor
- The team coordinates sending cards (birthdays, sympathy, get well, etc.), baskets (graduations, new babies, etc.), prayer shawls, prayer letter
- with the care team and the senior pastor to develop and implement long-term priorities, plans, and training for the role of the Congregational Care Team.
Funerals and Memorial Services
- As needed, interact with people via phone, Zoom, Facetime, email, or in-person (COVID-safe) requesting assistance from the church.
- Coordinate with office manager to purchase gift cards, transit cards, gas cards, etc. for distribution.
- Recommend and oversee distribution of benevolence funds, gift cards, etc., in accordance with benevolence policy and procedure.
- Assist senior pastor in supporting bereaved families and funeral planning at Park. This includes meeting with the family of the deceased, communication with the family regarding funeral policy and logistics, helping the family plan the service, some grief support, and follow up with families. This may include attendance at funerals for day-of coordination and oversight.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The director will report to Senior Pastor Gregg Taylor.
- This position works primarily on site, but should be able to provide transportation for visitation
- Funds are budgeted to reimburse mileage for visitation and other work-related expenses
- Strong personal faith in Jesus Christ
- Gifts of hospitality, mercy, and servanthood
Education and Experience
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational ability and time management skills
- Attention to detail, self-starter, commitment to excellence
- Support the overall mission, vision, beliefs, guiding principles, and strategy of Park Avenue United Methodist Church
- Model standards and expectations of Christian leadership, including compassion, integrity, positivity, and professionalism
- Experience in multiracial, multicultural congregational setting preferred
- The successful candidate must pass a background check
- Safe Gatherings approval: The successful candidate must be Safe Gatherings approved. During employment, candidate must follow Safe Gatherings practices and remain up to date with Safe Gatherings policy
- The successful candidate must be in agreement with the standards, theology, and policies of Park Avenue United Methodist Church
$21/hour with vacation, sick/safe leave, paid holidays
Send letter of interest, resume and two references to: Carla Urban, PAUMC SPRC Lead, email@example.com
July 29, 2022 or until position is filled
Part-time (24 hours/week)
Contact: Carla Urban
Park Avenue UMC,
3400 Park Ave S,
Email: Click to email