Start: As soon as available
This position performs bookkeeping tasks and manages HR processes and documentation for Park Avenue UMC, a vibrant, multi-cultural urban congregation. Work is primarily in the office, but the possibility of some remote work is negotiable. The position reports to Senior Pastor Gregg Taylor and works closely with the Finance Committee, Financial Secretary, payroll contractor and SPRC Lead.
- Responsible for monitoring cash flow and ensuring cash balances are available to cover payment of invoices and payroll
- Responsible for accounts payable, receivable, bank reconciliations; ensure payments are made in a timely fashion and accurately recorded
- Prepare monthly financial reports for dissemination to the Finance Committee and the Leadership Board
- Serve ex-officio on the Finance Committee
- Make recommendations to Finance Team regarding church financial policies.
- Enforce policies set by Finance Team.
- Lead annual budgeting process and prepare a draft budget for Finance Committee review
- Prepare reports and narrative for the annual report and meeting
- Communicate with Committees regarding their budgets and expenditures, providing reports when requested
- Serve as a resource for finance-related questions and issues
- Ensure proper financial controls and separation of duties are accomplished
- Partner with the Financial Secretary regarding revenue.
- Oversee payroll and coordinate with the payroll contractor, ensuring timely and accurate payroll, tax deposits; quarterly tax returns; annual Forms W-2 and 1099
- Collect and track staff time sheets and vacation/FMLA/sick leave
- Serve as the contact for all insurance renewals and changes including liability and workers’ compensation insurance, in coordination with the Leadership Board’s Staff-Parish Relations (SPRC) Lead
- Act as a primary resource to staff regarding benefits. Be familiar with content and application of employee handbook. Serve as staff liaison to SPRC/Leadership Board for handbook changes
- Primary contact between SPRC/Leadership Board and staff to mana/onboarding.
- Maintain personnel files
- Serve as a resource person to the Leadership Board’s SPRC Lead
- Lead annual job performance review process (ensure the process happens)
- Attend staff meetings
- Assist with office presence, such as answering phone and doors
- Assist with office projects as time allows
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Demonstrated Christian faith commitment
- The successful candidate must be in agreement with the standards, theology, and policies of Park Avenue United Methodist Church
- Associate’s degree in accounting or business, or commensurate job experience.
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Quick Books experience preferred
- Ability to create and interpret financial statements using Microsoft Excel
- Attention to detail and precision
- Ability to establish, evaluate and document procedures
- Commitment to good interpersonal relationships, teamwork and support of church ministries
- Commitment to confidentiality regarding all account records, both of the church and staff, and the members
- Candidate must pass a background check.
- Mandatory attendance at monthly evening Finance Team meetings.
$25/hour with Vacation, sick/safe leave, paid holidays
Send letter of interest, resume and two references to: Carla Urban, PAUMC SPRC Lead, firstname.lastname@example.org
July 29, 2022, or until position is filled
Part-time (20 hours/week)
Contact: Carla Urban
Park Avenue UMC, 3400 Park Ave S,
Email: Click to email