The primary role of the director of children and family ministries at First United Methodist Church is to help children and families experience Christ and His infinite love. By collaborating with a team of volunteers, the director will help ensure care, discipleship, and support are available to those who are already a part of the church and work to build connections with those who are not—but who are in the surrounding community. This individual will oversee and support the opportunities and experiences intentionally designed to engage children from birth through fifth grade and their families.
- Work directly with the Associate Pastor of Discipleship and other administrative staff in developing, implementing, and maintaining Christ-centered ministry opportunities and experiences for children of all ages and their families. This includes but is not limited to Sunday morning discipleship, Vacation Bible School, mid-week ministry, and family-centered experiences such as mission and fellowship.
- Recruit, train, and supervise teams of volunteers who are integral both in voice and presence in crafting and developing the reach of the ministry. Central to this work is the leadership of a Children and Family Ministry Committee.
- Provide appropriate curriculum and guidance for educational opportunities relating to children and their parents. Guidance includes the recruitment, training, and supervision of facilitators and volunteers, attending to classroom needs, and evaluating effectiveness of programs, opportunities, and experiences.
- Oversee the safety and security of all children in our care. Proper maintenance of equipment in the classroom environment and safety policies when it comes to leadership is a priority. Assure that all volunteers working with children and youth have completed Safe Gatherings before serving on teams.
- Plan and coordinate weekly chapel for Vinson Morris Children’s Center (VMCC).
- Hire, train, and supervise a team of part-time nursery care providers.
- This position represents First United Methodist Church in community settings and events and performs other related duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Work directly with the Finance office in establishing and managing a budget, reviewing expenditures, raising additional funds, and helping to communicate the financial needs of the congregation.
- Develop and maintain records for attendance and ongoing participation.
- Coordinate with facility management staff for scheduling of events and reserving of space.
- Manage nursery staff and ensure the work environment aligns with that of the larger FUMC staff.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, Children and Family Committee meetings, and Church Council meetings
- Evaluate how all Children and Family ministry opportunities are working towards fulfilling the mission of this church and the teachings of Christ.
- Plan and implement short term and long-term ministry opportunities that fulfill the mission and direction of this church.
- Work with other program staff and clergy to develop innovative, creative, and new fresh expressions of ministry that fulfill the mission and direction of this church and the community.
An ideal candidate for this position would:
Have a deep grounding in their own Christian faith, preferably an understanding of United Methodist doctrine and practice.
Be a self-starter with a passion for ministry with children of all ages.
Demonstrate skills in developing teams and leadership in others.
Value a high-level of organization and be able to coordinate multifaceted large-scale events. (such as Vacation Bible School and mission endeavors)
See all people as having value and be able to work well within diverse populations.
Minimum Education Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience in Early Childhood Education, Psychology, Ministry/Theology, or a related area of expertise.
Additional Skills Preferred: familiarity with Office Suite programs, possess a basic technological knowledge, and capable of utilizing most social media platforms as a form of communication and connection.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: James Warren
900 S Shoreline Blvd Corpus Christi TX 78401
Email: Click to email