First UMC of the St. Cloud Region in Sartell is seeking a part-time director of music ministries to inspire and grow the vital music program and create community through teaching and empowering musicians to lead worship. This person will bring inspiration to the music, make it more than just notes on the page as we experience God's presence, healing, and love through music in worship.
Reports to: Lead pastor
Employment Status: Exempt
Standard Work Schedule: An average of 10 hours/week, year round
In alignment with the overall mission and vision of the church and in collaboration with the Pastors, accompanist, and worship teams, The Director of Music Ministries will inspire and grow the vital music program, creating community through teaching and empowering musicians to lead worship. This person will bring inspiration to the music, make it more than just notes on the page as we experience God's presence, healing, and love through music in worship.
Vacation, holidays, and educational reimbursement are subject to church policy and are to be approved by lead pastor prior to taking and in accordance with the Non-Appointed Employee Policy. All other benefits as might be dictated by the Minnesota Conference of the UMC. All are subject to Social Security withholding as required by those regulations.
Identify, Recruit, Train, and Deploy Laity in Ministry
- Recruit and support volunteer choir members in an atmosphere of both inclusivity and excellence.
- Empower and teach musicians to be their best musical selves.
- Direct, rehearse and select music for the chancel choir for weekly worship, and as needed for seasonal service of worship.
- Ensure broad music styles of hymns, classical and contemporary music, chants, anthems, responses and the use of varied instrumentation in worship, including working with both volunteer and paid musicians.
- Collaboratively develop worship services each year that use music to inspire, teach, and share God’s love through a hymn sing, musical, or seasonal cantata.
- Maintain excellent communication with choir members and special music volunteers.
- Expand the number, ages, and interest of people involved in music ministry.
- Promote spiritual reflection and fellowship at musical gatherings, including rehearsals.
- Work with pastors and staff to plan thematically appropriate choral selections including regular collaboration with volunteer instrumentalists, paying attention to theological consistency, inclusive language, and musical appropriateness.
- Work with pastors to select hymns, both old and new, to boost congregational singing and enhance the worship flow.
- Maintain excellent communication with pastors, accompanist, other music ministry leaders and teams, and support staff.
- Worship planning may look different at different times of the year. Currently the chancel choir and bell choir rehearse and provide music in worship nine months of the year. However, planning of special music and worship planning is expected for all twelve months.
- Oversee/supervise music staff (hired and volunteered) and programming for all services with appropriate pastoral consultation.
- Engage in staff meetings on a regular basis, communicating and learning together.
- Oversee the selection and purchase of music for worship and maintain the music library and inventories, with assistance from music staff and congregational participants.
- Oversee the maintenance of the choir robes, equipment and musical instruments assisted by volunteers.
- Experience in technology is expected, including computer-based music sources and software and the ability to learn church office software such as Realm and OneNote.
- Develop, maintain, and work within an approved budget and use dedicated funds to enhance worship and follow the mission of the church.
- Tend to and follow music licensing and copyright regulations. This includes coordinating the required reporting with the office administrator.
- As needed, provide information about music ministries to celebrate what’s happening in the communications of the church and to recruit new people.
- Communicate with the office administrator regarding rehearsal schedule changes, building space needed and set ups required as well as sharing data about who is participating in music ministries.
- Work collaboratively with pastors and staff towards the shared vision and mission of the church.
- Is dedicated towards personal spiritual growth and living a healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrates commitment to the inclusivity of all God’s people.
- Provides a welcoming, hospitable environment in-person, on the phone, and electronically.
- Upholds confidentiality with the pastor, staff, and others as it relates to information affecting the overall function and health of the church and its ministry.
- Exhibits flexibility around position function and evolving music and worship needs.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures outlined in the church’s Employee Handbook and publicly supports the pastors, staff, and mission of the church.
- Gifts needed for this ministry include both the desire and personal faith commitment to lead people in whole hearted worship of God.
- A minimum of a BA in music performance or education.
- A minimum of three years experience preferred, with specific training in choral conducting.
- Coursework or demonstrated understanding of Christian worship traditions and leadership, including knowledge of hymnody and interest in a wide range of vocal music traditions and styles.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with staff and volunteers with particular emphasis on equipping volunteers and their development.
$23-25/ hour based on experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to: First UMC SPRC, 1107 Pine Cone Road South, Sartell, MN 56377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Linda Agre
1107 Pine Cone Road South Sartell 56377
Email: Click to email