River Hills UMC in Burnsville is seeking a digital communication and social media manager to oversee and coordinate the church's digital platforms. A variety of online tools are used to target persons outside of the community as well as groups within the church community.
The purpose of River Hills UMC is “To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” We do this by creating opportunities for people to be engaged in the ministry of the church, invite them to explore what ministry means for them personally, equip them to follow their calling, and send them out into the world to find opportunities to be in ministry. We welcome all of God’s children and celebrate diversity that comes in our creation. We seek to faithfully live into the motto of an inclusive church by being a place of truly “Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.” Please refer to River Hills Statement of Inclusion for any clarification that may be needed.
Communication is an important part of the process of connecting people in ministry. To be effective at communications in a multi-generational community takes many approaches. Digital Communication is a growing part of that communication strategy. The right candidate needs a strong grasp of the different platforms (social media, website, group email, livestream, and other forms of digital interaction). They need to be adaptable, strategic and nurturing as they work with others that may be new to digital communication. We want River Hills UMC to be a place where all feel welcome and informed, inspired and motivated, by the opportunities to serve in ministry as well as feeling a part of the collective whole as we celebrate the work we do together.
There are two other positions that are currently available (director of children's ministries and director of youth ministries), that can be combined with this opening to form a full time position.
- Reports directly to the lead pastor;
- Works directly with staff and volunteer leaders to gather content and assess the needs and resources available to assure full communication;
- Access to the IT Committee for hardware/software support.
- Access to the Staff/Pastor Parish Relations Committee (i.e. human resources) for discussing concerns relating to the position and its dynamics.
- Ministry: First and foremost, we are in the business of being in ministry. We are in ministry with those we work with and with those who turn to us for inspiration and leadership. Sometimes it is mundane and methodical. Other times it is impactful and monumental. When it doesn’t feel like ministry anymore, it’s time to move on or re-evaluate the things we are doing.
- Digital Communication: To oversee and coordinate all digital platforms utilized by the River Hills Community. These tools are used to target persons outside of the community as well as groups within the church community: Facebook, Instagram, MailChimp, Zoom, QR creation, LinkTree, YouTube, RiverHillsUMC.org, RHECC.org, livestream platforms (currently utilizing VMIX to stream to Facebook, Youtube, and PhoneLiveStream), Google Drive, digital displays in the building, and digital displays on our outdoor sign. While volunteers and staff will work to help create content, operate, and manage these different platforms, optimization is critical in form, content and delivery. Fresh, timely and reliable resources are important to the effectiveness of these tools. Maintaining the hosting and domain registrations to ensure ongoing presence online.
- Resources: To ensure equipment, resources, expertise, and training/tutorials are available and in place for the digital communications strategy.
- Budget: To oversee the spending of money provided by the church to accomplish the primary functions and goals of the ministry, and to seek and obtain any additional money that might be needed from the Council. Annual budgets for the upcoming year are requested by the Finance Committee in September and are to be submitted in October after collaborating with other leaders in developing and executing a digital communications strategy.
- Administration: To be responsible for communicating, planning, organizing, scheduling, and developing systems and processes that work effectively with volunteers, staff, and leadership as needed to accomplish the task to ensure consistency and reliability in the ministry.
- Vision: In coordination with the lead pastor, to evaluate, formulate, and execute a vision for the continuation and effectiveness of the digital communication within the church across all ministry areas and generations.
- To provide overall direction and leadership to the digital communications of River Hills United Methodist Church.
- To care for the overall digital communications experience of all generations.
- To care for the elements of communication that are necessary for the casual observer to get a taste and understanding of who we are as a church in such a way that they can see themselves as a part of the community.
- To care for the elements of communication that are directed toward particular groups within the church for their information and feedback in a way that is timely and effective.
- To care for the elements of communication where persons outside of the organization are looking for specific information for an event open to the public (funeral, worship) or need to request a service (wedding, baptism, funeral, prayer, support).
- To make sure the calendar is current. Staff will have access to add events to the calendar, but communications and calendar must be consistent.
- To refresh the website with accurate and current information.
- To schedule posts for the social media site that engage the audience.
- Identify opportunities for promoting upcoming events.
- Identify opportunities to celebrate and share stories of effective ministries.
- Plan, prepare, and care for communications to groups within the community (youth, children, etc)
- Plan, prepare, and care for the Friday ENews to the congregation.
- Look for ways to continually improve the digital communications.
- Serve as a resource for persons struggling with receiving or utilizing digital communication.
- Work collegially with the staff of the church and River Hills Early Childhood Center.
- Maintain a positive and inspiring attitude toward and with the volunteers, church members, outside guests, and staff.
- Report to the annual church meeting the work of the ministry in the past year.
- Oversee and ensure that the digital communications are exercising the proper precautions for safe communications with the community.
- Maintaining appropriate boundaries regarding use of images, language, and identity in social media and other digital communication.
- Other tasks as seen essential to accomplish the major responsibilities
- By God’s grace, living in a genuine and authentic relationship with Christ, and consistently applying this relationship throughout their life.
- Growing in a fuller understanding of the mission and beliefs of River Hills United Methodist Church, and supporting it through this role.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience in working with and assisting in securing volunteers to build the ministry.
- Demonstrated proficiency as a servant leader to lift up and empower leadership within the ministry to serve and inspire all aspects of the ministry.
- Genuine disposition of encouragement that creates an atmosphere of ongoing participation and inspires involvement from newcomers.
- Builds consensus while providing direction. Ability to listen to the insights of others and still move decisively forward in a manner that demonstrates understanding and grace.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of talents, skills, giftedness and personalities in the many aspects that lead to effective ministry.
- Computer literacy is essential. Candidates must be proficient and comfortable with applications used for communication and willing to continue to explore new technology and platforms.
- Ability to work with budgets and within budget constraints.
- Ability to work with other committees/teams/leaders within the church as ministries inevitably find opportunities for collaboration and conflict as they overlap.
- A working knowledge of copyright to ensure compliance.
- Successful background check.
- Training in Safe Sanctuary policies
$17-$18/hour, ineligible for benefits if working under 20 hour
Email applications to Robert Braudt at RBraudt@riverhillsumc.org.
Part-time (10-15 hours per week average)
Contact: Robert Braudt
11100 River Hills Drive Burnsville MN 55337
Email: Click to email