Start: November 15
Fairmount Avenue UMC in St. Paul is seeking a part-time music director and adult choir director.
Fairmount Avenue UMC is a midsize (worship around 135 weekly), neighborhood church situated in the Mac Groveland neighborhood of St. Paul. We are a community that is passionate about music and love to make music together. We are also a church that is community-minded and engaged in social justice, equity, and sustainability ministries.
An ideal candidate would have a strong knowledge of liturgical worship music but may have another area of musical passion. We are organ-forward in our weekly worship; we hope your passion for music diversifies our musical experience and deepens our worship experience.
The music director and adult choir director will contribute to the effectiveness of our services of worship through the ability of music to inspire us all to live the Fairmount Avenue UMC vision to be a joyful, welcoming community, igniting hearts and minds for God’s work. The music director and adult choir director will plan and direct the musical life of the church in consultation with the pastor and other choir directors.
The music director reports directly to the pastor. The annual performance review will be jointly completed by the pastor and the designated SPR Committee liaison.
Hours and Compensation
Sunday Mornings, 8 a.m.-noon
Wednesday choir rehearsals, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
Salary negotiable based upon experience.
Total Weekly Hours: 16 Hours
The duties of the music director and adult choir director shall include but not be limited to the following:
Music Director (Approximately 10 hours/weekly)
Adult Choir Director (Approximately 6 hours/weekly)
- Assists the pastor in the selecting congregational hymns and anthems each Sunday and for special services such as; Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Thanksgiving Eve and monthly.
- Works with and develops the musical abilities of the congregation and, including them in worship.
- In consultation with the pastor, the music director approves the music selections and assists in preparation for all weddings and funerals held in the church.
- Purchases music and hires musicians, within the budgeting limits approved by the Church Chuncil, for the adult choir and special musical requirements such as the brass ensemble for Easter and special instrumental for Christmas Season.
- In consultation with appropriate leaders, coordinates the scheduling of performances and rehearsals of various musical groups, such as various bell choirs, youth choirs, and musical groups.
- Organizes volunteers and guest musicians for summer worship services (June through the first Sunday of September).
- Works with the organist/accompanist to monitors the condition of the organ and pianos and informs the Trustees when major maintenance or repairs are needed.
- Attends all staff meetings requested by the pastor, Worship Committee and Church Council.
- In cooperation with the other music leaders, prepares the general music budget (approximately $4,000/annually).
- The music director coordinates the musical selections of the other music leaders to facilitate the preparation of the order of worship and other seasonal planning such as the Annual Midwinter Concert.
- Manages the sound system and audio equipment.
- Reports licensing information to licensing agencies weekly.
- Is a resource person for the Staff/Parish Committee in evaluating the credentials of candidates for music leadership positions or vocalists.
Leadership Style/Skill and Expectation:
- Selects and prepares music for adult choir, 10-15 volunteer choir members of diverse experience levels which performs for weekly worship, September through May. (Approximately 36 Sundays).
- Leads rehearsals and develops musical abilities of choir members.
- Recruits choir members and retains a robust choir.
- Prepares special music for adult choir for special worship services and Christian holidays.
- Stores and files adult choir music in a timely fashion and records performance dates of all music performed by the choir.
- The music sirector will work effectively with the FAUMC leadership team, especially the group comprising the pastor, other music leaders.
- The music director manages volunteer musicians and maintains a spiritual focus of music rehearsals and performances.
- Preferred at least five years music director experience and degree in worship/music/liturgical worship field.
- This position requires a passion for liturgical worship music, competency in music selection, and organizing and directing a choir.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers and with the Parish leadership team.
- Technical knowledge of audio equipment, including digital mixer sound boards and microphone set up.
- Basic technical skills in the areas of email, zoom, and Microsoft office suite.
- Basic understanding of music licensing.
- Good organizational skills.
$16,000- $17,000 annual salary
Email resume and cover letter to Pastor Shawna Horn, email@example.com. Read more information on our website at www.faumc.net.
Contact: Shawna Horn
1523 Fairmount Ave Saint Paul 55105
Email: Click to email