Church Administrator and Communications Director
Fairmount Avenue UMC in St. Paul is looking for a mission-minded individual to assist in the ministry of the church through the position of church administrator and communications director. This individual will oversee and coordinate day-to-day the operation of the church office; provide timely support to the pastor, staff, congregation; and manage internal and external communications of the church.
Fairmount Avenue UMC is located in the Mac Groveland neighborhood of St. Paul and is thoughtful about faith; passionate about music; and persistent in the pursuit of a more just, equitable, and sustainable world.
- Represent the loving and hospitable spirit of Fairmount Avenue UMC to all who interact with the church.
- Maintain church office hours, answering phone and email inquiries to the church.
- Design, prepare, and send the weekly e-newsletter and monthly printed newsletter.
- Type and prepare a weekly Sunday Bulletin (information provided by the pastor, music director and members.)
- Prepare and coordinate mass mailings and communications including letters, postcards, and newsletters.
- Maintain on-line calendar and work with staff to maintain church web page.
- Coordinate weekly prayer chain emails with the pastor.
- Prepare weekly slides for worship in PowerPoint and Photoshop.
- Update website and entryway screens with news and events with information provided by staff and lay leadership.
- Post to social media accounts if requested.
- Screen all communications intended for the entire congregation, large sections of the congregation, or outside the church as prepared by staff for consistency with our Communications Style Guide.
- Attend bi-monthly staff meeting and prepare agenda as directed by the pastor
- The church administrator and communications director is the financial secretary.
- Maintain a record of office expenses and create yearly office budget.
- Review work of offering counters and make corrections as necessary.
- Verify deposits with the church treasurer.
- Prepare and send financial giving statements.
- Coordinate with Treasurer & Finance Committee to communicate financial information to the congregation.
- Collect any offering or tithe income that comes into the church mid-week.
- Collect any rental income the church has and fees for functions including weddings and funerals.
- Ensure that vendor relationships, invoices, purchases, contracts and services are processed & performed in a timely manner to the benefit and satisfaction of the church.
Facilities Administration and Oversight
- Provide secretarial support to the pastor, staff members, chairs of committees and the congregation as needed.
- Maintain neat and orderly filings of all pertinent church documents (legal, fiscal, committee minutes, etc.)
- Develop processes to continually improve the operational efficiency of the church office.
- Work with office equipment and supply vendors as necessary.
- Using Church Windows, maintain computer records of church membership which includes: recording address changes, births, baptisms, marriages, deaths, withdrawals, processing new member records, keep monthly statistics, track attendance for Sunday School and Sunday worship, financial records and year to date membership totals.
- Keep church calendar current of activities and manage scheduling conflicts.
- Receive and direct mail to pastor, staff and various lay leaders.
- Coordinate and sometimes schedule Sunday morning volunteer schedules with staff and lay leadership.
- Provide oversight of the church master calendar and the scheduling and security oversight of all facilities by both member and non-member groups.
- Work with the Board of Trustees, informing them of needed repairs, helping them to determine equipment needs, and assist with purchases as required.
- Coordinate the ongoing service maintenance of the church facilities in partnership with IT director, pastor, and other staff or lay leadership.
- Manage and purchase consumable church office supplies.
- Order custodial supplies in coordination with the Church Custodian.
- Issue keys to church members and vendors as required.
- The church administrator reports directly to the pastor.
- Annual performance reviews are conducted by the pastor and Staff/Parish Relations Committee.
- Desired experience: A qualified individual would have at least two years in a similar customer service/relations and communications position.
- Possess excellent communication skills, human relations and organization skills.
- Computer literate and willingness to learn. Preferred knowledge of Microsoft Office Products including PowerPoint and Publisher, Church Windows, Photoshop, and Weebly (or other website software), and Dropbox/Google suite.
- Possess basic knowledge of office equipment.
- Good technical writing skills.
- Efficient organizer and planner who is able to work with deadlines.
- Is able to multi-task and adapt when needed.
- Able to work in a team.
- Manages conflict well and interpersonal relationship effectively.
- Is able to maintain confidentiality when required by the position.
- Must have a willingness to support and uphold the values & mission statement of Fairmount Avenue United Methodist Church.
$20-$22 per hour (dependent on qualifications)
Send a resume and cover letter to Pastor Shawna at email@example.com
Contact: Pastor Shawna Horn
1523 Fairmount Ave., St. Paul, MN 55105
Email: Click to email