Start: As soon as possible
The director of youth and mission is a 32-40 hour position that develops children, youth, and their families to have an inward heart for Jesus, and an outward call to serve others through missions. The ideal candidate has a strong personal faith, effectively engages young people and connects missions that address injustices or disparities in our community and world. This person provides leadership to the Wednesday Jesus and Me (JAM) program for children and youth, and actively participates in the LeSueur UMC church community.
This full-time salaried position comes with benefits. English/Spanish skill set a plus.
Mentor an Inward Faith
Foster a Heart for Mission
- Help kids and their families find a place within the church community.
- Role model a positive relationship with Christ through personal accountability.
- Mentor children and youth, relating faith to everyday situations.
- Encourage opportunities for children and youth to be present in worship.
- Develop a cohesive youth group for seventh-12th with meaningful activities to facilitate Christian maturity, friendship, service, and faith.
- Connect with and maintain regular contact with young people to provide a nurturing, spiritual connection to the church. This can occur during church activities, or during community and school events.
- Camps/Mission trips: Encourage participation in confirmation retreats, church camps, Vacation Bible School and mission trips based on age. Chaperone, and coordinate as needed, including registrations, scholarships, transportation, and secure permission forms.
Leadership and coordination
- Identify and coordinate mission projects based on age-appropriate abilities.
- Coordinate children/youth mission activities and fund raising with the mission team who supports a diversity of complimentary mission efforts.
- Mission opportunities should include a mixture of local, regional, and global opportunities, including education on the disparity, and spiritual response to serve others.
- Develop a yearly mission goal that can be incorporated into the JAM (Jesus And Me) program. (e.g., fund raising, getting supplies, etc.)
- Monthly, offer at least one hands-on project.
- Yearly, offer one mission project out of state. This may include family mission trips or youth/young adult focused missions.
- Coordinate and conduct fund raising as needed to support chosen missions, secure release forms, transportation, and parent chaperones.
- Meet with pastor during weekly team meetings to execute the objectives of the congregational ministry plan; and set the vision and direction for an engaging children, youth and family ministry in the local community.
- Provide overall leadership, coordination, and support volunteers for the JAM program which includes: Wednesday nights (during school year), summer events, Sunday Kids Church, and Nursery.
- Assist with ecumenical Vacation Bible School program.
- Serve on Education team as a member of the team.
- Serve as a liaison between the Mission team and JAM program
- Ensure that all volunteers are Safe Sanctuary Trained.
- Develop user friendly and consistent check-in/out procedure for child safety.
- Identify inclusive curriculum, UMC certified, assist teachers with implementing it, and train as needed.
- Provide timely communication to the families and local community which may include updates in the weekly memo, social media, mail chimp, or texting.
- Maintain a current database of families and their children with addresses, phone numbers and preferred method of contact. Include birthdays, new births, baptisms, and other pertinent family events. This information is confidential and becomes the property of the United Methodist Church of Le Sueur.
- Work with the education team to establish and maintain the children's ministry budget which includes comprehensive record keeping for all expenditures and debits and preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports. All financial reports will be turned in to the church office in a timely manner.
- Love Jesus.
- Formal degree with Children, Youth and Families, or ministry preferred.
- Personal mission experience required. Coordinating and leading missions preferred.
- Have own reliable transportation and cell phone.
- Excellent written, verbal, and digital/social networking communication skills.
- Skilled in contemporary platforms, apps, and communication.
- Experience in Sunday School, Bible School, and/or other children or youth leadership roles.
- Good organizational skills.
- Creative and resourceful.
- Ability to work on a ministry team.
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate activities.
- Ability to work with parents of youth.
- Must pass a background check.
Salary, up to $40,000 per year with benefits.
Send resume AND cover letter to Pastor Terri Horn, email@example.com.
Part-time to Full-time, Flexible
Contact: Terri Horn
LeSueur United Methodist Church, 730 S 6th St LeSueur MN 56058