The volunteer coordinator helps to mobilize God’s people to serve in the church and in the community. This individual will be responsible for recruiting and training congregants to offer their time and expertise to serve in internal and external ministry opportunities. This role is responsible for the timely coordination of volunteer opportunities and needs. This position is 10 hours per week. Much of the work can be executed virtually, with Sunday morning in-person work a requirement of the job.
- Work with pastor to establish and improve processes to address volunteer opportunities that support the ministries of LHUMC.
- Help people discover their spiritual gifts and how they might use them to serve God and God’s people.
- Participate in new member classes to get to know new people and help them become involved in the church.
- Recruit volunteers to help with various ministries of LHUMC, including but not limited to Sunday morning ushers, greeters, scripture readers, coffee set-up and take-down, and communion servers.
- Help people become familiar with and take part in external ministries such as the Joyce Uptown Foodshelf, Simpson Housing Services, Beacon Interfaith Housing, The Dignity Center and other external ministry partners.
- Offer volunteer trainings to ensure that all volunteers are equipped to serve, emphasizing radical hospitality throughout our volunteer ministries.
- Coordinate volunteer appreciation on a yearly basis.
- Work with the Shared Ministry Team to recruit for ministry teams.
- Strong hospitality and networking skills to welcome new people to participate in the life of the church.
- Excellent skills in interacting with people face-to-face, via phone, and online.
- Intermediate to advanced skills and experience in using email, social media and other computer-based applications for recruiting and organizing volunteers.
- Strong project management skills to prioritize, organize, and administer volunteer events and services.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-time (10 hours per week)
Contact: Pastor Karen Bruins
Lake Harriet UMC, 4901 Chowen Ave. S, Minneapolis, MN 55410