First UMC of Evanston, Illinois is seeking a full-time director of children’s ministry. The primary responsibility of the position is to help families and children create and nurture a community of Christians who grow in their relationship with God.
Ideal for this role would be a self-motivated, highly relational, well-organized, welcoming leader who loves and embraces families of all shapes, sizes, and styles. First Church has an established approach to discipleship that greatly values team collaboration, clear communication, and thoughtful innovation when it comes to investing in the children and families of Evanston.
Primary responsibilities for the position include:
● Nurture a safe spiritual environment for infants through children in sixth grade
● Coordinate current ministry programs and events, evaluating effectiveness and proposing change when there’s opportunity for improvement
● Create systems to facilitate the recruitment, training, and recognition of volunteers
● Supervise, support, and schedule paid children’s ministry staff
● Oversee attendance records and database management within this ministry area, and lead the evaluation of program participation, trends, and needs
● Follow-up with new families that attend First Church in collaboration with the director of membership and visitor connections.
● Assess and revise the program’s vision, goals, and curriculums through teacher, children, volunteer, and family input, ensuring alignment with First Church’s identity as a Reconciling Congregation of the United Methodist Church.
● Maintain social media presence for this ministry area in collaboration with the communications director.
Qualifications for this position are:
● Master’s Degree is preferred, undergraduate degree is required (preference will be given to those with degrees in early or elementary childhood education, biblical and theological studies.)
● Knowledge of and appreciation for the beliefs, faith, and practice of the United Methodist Church. (preference will be given to those with experience in children’s ministry and/or progress toward United Methodist Certification in Children’s Ministry.)
● Proficient in current office technology (e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word)
● Willingness to learn the church’s database, Realm, and communications technologies
● Experience in promoting ministry through social media platforms
Qualified candidates should send their resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Renee Wilson
Address: First UMC, 516 Church St., Evanston, IL 60201
Minnesota Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church