Excelsior UMC's mission statement is Sharing God’s love by building community, serving others, and standing for justice. Excelsior UMC is a progressive, reconciling, inclusive congregation for all.
EUMC is seeking a youth ministries director for grades seven-12. Expect job to require 10 hours per week, with attendance on Wednesday night through the school year, one to two Sundays per month during service, and staff meeting once a month with lead pastor. Have a good understanding of youth and their challenges. Organize activities and service projects, recruit volunteers as necessary.
Additional Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Develop and nurture healthy relationships with youth, families and the wider church community.
- Encourage and equip youth and families to live out their faith both within the church and beyond in the community.
- Implement safe, nurturing appropriate and faith-based programming for seventh grade through high school.
- Support the lead pastor as it relates to your area of ministry including the communication of pastoral need that you may be made aware of.
- Recruit, motivate, and train volunteers to participate in youth programs for seventh grade to high school.
- Oversee coordination and direction for key programs and special Sundays as agreed to with the lead pastor
- In partnership with the lead pastor, support the confirmation program. This may include: recruiting volunteers, leading groups, working with confirmation sponsors and other activities.
- Foster an open and welcoming environment for all youth where they can engage with their peers. Mentor and encourage youth in building Christian faith practices.
- Promote youth and family ministry in worship, publications, and through direct email communications with families.
- Be able to meet with youth one to two Sundays a month during service.
- Coordinate activities with the church calendar.
- Purchase curriculum and supplies in accordance with annual church budget.
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Support additional needs as identified and agreed to with lead pastor.
- Attend staff meetings and meet with lead pastor as needed.
- Attend administrative council (as needed).
- Attend other team meetings, as necessary for youth ministries, for the purpose of validating direction, problem solving, making suggestions for improvement, and getting help as needed.
- Attaining and providing training for volunteers.
- Participate in CEF (Christian Engaged Formation) or other similar group as agreed upon with lead pastor.
- Basic knowledge of psycho-social and faith developmental stages of and appreciation for youth.
- Basic knowledge of modern “teen culture” and major issues facing youth in grades eight-12.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, youth, adults, and other church staff; good speaking skills.
- Self-motivated and organized.
- Secure in faith and the ability to think theologically.
- Approachable, good listener, supportive, patient, non-judgmental; with good sense of humor.
Additional Scheduling Requirements:
- College degree preferred.
- Previous experience working with youth.
- Experience with curriculum development.
- Good driving record; qualified to drive groups of youth.
- Available Wednesdays, Sundays, most Christian holidays and some weekends.
- 9:30–11:30 a.m. Sundays for special JR/SR Youth meetings – one or two per month
- Wednesday evening during school year – up to three program Wednesdays off annually.
- All days off and other scheduling conflicts to be worked out in advance with lead pastor.
$13,000 yearly salary
Resume and cover letter to include: experience, references, statement of your faith journey (story of your relationship with God or spiritual autobiography). Employment contingent upon successful completion of background check.
Send to: Rev. Brooke Heerwald Steiner, Excelsior UMC, 881 3rd Ave., Excelsior, MN 55331
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Rev. Brooke Heerwald Steiner
Excelsior UMC, 881 3rd Ave, Excelsior, MN 55331
Phone: (952) 474-5471