Excelsior UMC's mission statement is Sharing God’s love by building community, serving others, and standing for justice. Excelsior UMC is a progressive, reconciling, inclusive congregation for all.
EUMC is seeking a children’s ministries director for ages nursery to sixth grade. Expect job to require 15 hours per week, with attendance on Sunday, once a month staff meeting with lead pastor, and quarterly meeting with children’s council. Will be responsible for researching and acquiring age appropriate curriculum, acquiring necessary volunteers, and overseeing necessary background checks. Currently, the congregation has twenty families with children.
Additional Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Develop and nurture healthy relationships with children, families and the wider church community.
- Encourage and equip children and families to live out their faith both within the church and beyond in the community.
- Implement safe, nurturing, age appropriate and faith-based programming for ages birth through sixth grade on Sundays mornings and other days as determined in coordination with lead pastor. Mentor and encourage children and their families in building Christian faith practices.
- Support the lead pastor as it relates to your area of ministry including the communication of pastoral needs that you may be made aware of.
- Recruit, motivate and train volunteers to participate in children’s programs.
- Oversee coordination and direction for key programs and special Sundays as agreed to with the lead pastor (including, but not limited to: Vacation Bible School, Rally Sunday, Milestone ministries, Christmas Festival, Christmas Program). Responsible for attending these events.
- Supervise nursery staff.
- Promote children and family ministry in worship, publications and through direct email communications with families.
- Be a hospitable presence on Sunday mornings to families, teachers and other volunteers to provide welcome, answer questions, problem solve and promote safe learning environment.
- Coordinate activities with the church calendar.
- Purchase curriculum and supplies in accordance with annual church budget.
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Support additional needs as identified and agreed to with lead pastor.
- Attend bi-monthly staff meetings and leadership meetings as needed.
- Meet weekly with lead pastor.
- Oversee the background check process for volunteers in the church who encounter children and youth.
- Participate in CEF (Christian Engaged Formation) or other similar networking group.
- Basic knowledge of psycho-social and faith developmental stages of and appreciation for children.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, youth, adults and other church staff; good speaking skills.
- Self-motivated and organized.
- Secure in faith and the ability to think theologically.
- Approachable, good listener, supportive, patient, non-judgmental, good sense of humor.
Additional Scheduling Requirements:
- College degree preferred.
- Previous experience working with children.
- Experience with curriculum development.
- Available Sundays, most Christian holidays.
- 9:30-11:30 a.m. Sundays with up to five program Sundays off annually.
- All days off and other scheduling conflicts to be worked out in advance with lead pastor.
$20,000 yearly salary
Resume and cover letter to include: experience, references, statement of your faith journey (story of your relationship with God or spiritual autobiography). Employment contingent upon successful completion of background check.
Send to: Rev. Brooke Heerwald Steiner, Excelsior UMC, 881 3rd Ave., Excelsior, MN 55331
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Rev. Brooke Heerwald Steiner
Excelsior UMC, 881 3rd Ave, Excelsior, MN 55331
Phone: (952) 474-5471