Start: Position begins as soon as possible
Owatonna UMC is seeking a part-time minister of music in a year round, salaried, part-time position requiring an average of 20 hours per week during the program year. The Minister of Music will work to implement the vision, mission, and goals of the congregation in ministries with children, youth, and adults through our music program.
The Minister or Music person receives input for their ministry through their committee relationships and day to day supervision from the pastor. They are responsible through the pastor to the Staff/Parish Relations Committee.
Primary roles are:
- Choir director.
- Bell choir director.
- Coordinator of music for funerals and weddings.
- Coordinator of instrumentalists and special groups.
- Organist for Sunday and Wednesday evening services.
- Recruit, resource and coordinate volunteers & instrumentalist.
- Consult with pastor in worship planning.
- Provide piano tuning and organ tuning.
- Coordinate special events & music soloists.
- Coordinate music budget, order music, and maintain music library.
- Maintain choir robes.
- attend continuing education to keep church current with musical trends.
- Ability to lead, inspire and engage the congregation during the worship experience;
- Music background by education or experience and teaching ability sufficient to coach and guide all the members of the music ministry to continually enhance their musical skills;
- Familiarity with modern Christian music as well as more traditional styles of sacred music in a blended worship format;
- Experience as a worship leader, preferably in a praise team situation, is required;
- Experience directing musical ensembles is highly desired;
- References from the Music Coordinator, SPRC Chair (or equivalent), and/or the Pastor of the candidate’s current church are required;
- Strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills required to effectively collaborate with both the church staff and administrators as well as the other members of the music ministry;
- Experience working with youth, young adults and older adults;
- Knowledge of United Methodist theology and hymnody is desired;
- Satisfactory compliance with all OUMC conditions of employment as described in the Employee Handbook and the church’s hiring policies.
Send resume to email@example.com
Contact: Paula Johnson
Owatonna UMC, 815 E University St., Owatonna, MN 55060