Osseo UMC seeks a part-time director of music to provide music for the church and foster the development of the musical gifts present within the congregation.
The director of music is a lay minister of the church, serving as a salaried member of the staff. This person will primarily enhance the worship but also the general ministry of the church by working cooperatively with staff and lay persons in assessing the needs of the church in the area of music, by planning to meet those needs, by providing music for the church, and by fostering the development of the musical gifts present within the congregation.
- Direct the chancel choir, seeking to maximize participation of the choir, and working to constantly improve the quality of the music.
- Maintain music files, purchase music as needed within the budgeted amount.
- Select music that is appropriate to the themes of the church year and consistent with the focus of specific worship services and shall plan and direct rehearsals such that the music is competently performed.
- Responsible for any other children’s, adult, or handbell choirs, either by directing them or supervising others directing those choirs, retaining budgetary and managerial responsibilities.
- Select hymns for Sunday morning services each week (if requested by the pastor) and notify the organist and church secretary of those selections.
- Arrange for appropriate leadership and accompaniment for praise/contemporary music and hymns when needed for Sunday morning services. This may include, but is not limited to, playing an accompaniment on keyboard or other instrument, recording an accompaniment on the keyboard, or engaging other musicians to provide the needed accompaniment, and working with the song leader when available.)
- Responsible for special services and programs in which the choirs are involved, i.e., variety shows, concerts outside the church proper.
- Coordinating special music for the summer services.
- Advise the worship committee regarding budget needs for the music ministry of the church.
- Consult with the worship committee and the board of trustees concerning maintenance of present musical equipment and advisability of purchasing additional or replacement equipment as necessary.
- Basic skill in conducting vocal or instrumental ensembles
- Knowledge of a variety of musical styles
- Understanding vocal parts of choral composition. Example: SAB or SATB
- Keyboard proficiency preferred
- Organizational ability
- Able to lead/manage a rehearsal hour
- Relate to a diversity of people
- Good communication in both oral and written form
- Able to multi-task and be flexible with people, schedules, expectations
- Demonstrates a positive, encouraging, joyful and team-oriented approach to people and work
Interested persons may contact Pastor Wesley Gabel at: email@example.com or call 763-425-2923. A cover letter and/or resume is appreciated.
Contact: Wesley Gabel
Osseo UMC,16 2nd Ave. SE, Osseo, MN 55369