The office administrator/communications specialist will manage the church office while overseeing the hospitable, effective, and efficient stewardship of the church’s physical and informational resources, that we might best carry out our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. The “first face” of the organization, he/she will offer a sense of care and welcome, along with dependable and quality clerical support. He/She will create thoughtful, up-to-date and attractive forms of communications using a variety of avenues to support the ongoing ministries and growth of the church.
- Providing a welcoming and hospitable presence in-person, electronically and on the phone
- Addressing immediate needs or inquiries in a warm and assuring manner, and appropriately transferring or directing individuals to those who can best meet their needs
- Maintaining an awareness and electronic documentation of church events, happenings, membership, and guests; monitoring church compliance with all governmental reporting procedures (w-4s, I-9s)
- Overseeing guest follow-up processes and information materials
- Coordinating volunteers for church events/tasks, including worship services, as necessary
- Ensuring appropriate administrative support is provided to pastor, staff, and committees as needed by support staff and volunteers.
- Strategizing, designing, preparing, communicating, and promoting accurate and visually attractive church and denominational offerings/updates for the congregation and larger community through a variety of media, including but not limited to: weekly worship programs and emails, monthly newsletters, and daily website maintenance, along with posters, flyers, social media posts, and submissions for local publications
- Overseeing and purchasing supplies for ministries throughout the building
- Overseeing building operations including but not limited to: scheduling special events, facility and room usage, maintenance/repair appointments
- Maintaining strict confidentiality with the pastor and as it relates to information affecting the overall function and health of the church and its membership
- Participating in regularly-scheduled and occasional meetings with pastor, staff and committees/teams
- Supervising the custodian
- Adhering to the policies and procedures outlined in the church’s Employee Handbook and publicly supporting the pastor, staff, and mission of the church.
- Fulfilling additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Displays a love for and belief in Jesus Christ
- Commitment to personal spiritual growth and a healthy lifestyle
- Considers this position a ministry calling and not a job
- Models standards and expectations of Christian leadership
- Post-Secondary and/or comparable work experience (bachelor’s degree in related field preferred)
- Exhibits broad knowledge of and proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite, the Adobe Creative Suite, and social media communications
- Willingness to learn Church Windows, ProPresenter, and website maintenance
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal formats
- Expertise in management of complex organizational systems, processes, communications, and details; ability to manage his/her time well and meet deadlines; has minimal need for oversight
- Prompt and excellent customer service skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrates experience and ability to effectively use graphic design principles, typography, and photography to produce quality communications
- Adapts well to change; maintains a positive attitude; and exercises creativity and initiative
- Highly motivated and self-directed team player with a demonstrated commitment to inclusivity for all God’s people
- United Methodist background is not required, but must be supportive of the polity, theology, and policies of the pastor, Community United Methodist Church and the larger United Methodist Church
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to Pastor Carrie Binnie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 1, 2019
Contact: Pastor Carrie Binnie