I am excited about what the Minnesota Annual Conference churches do day in and day out in the area of missions. Ministries of compassion and mercy are something we do well!
Every time I visit a church, I am amazed. Everybody is doing something, and many are reaching out to their neighbors in multiple ways. Sometimes it's through hands-on activity, other times financial sponsorship, or perhaps both. It is local, regional, and international. The outreach can involve adults, youth, children, or be intergenerational. It is to support designated conference projects and others.
I am convinced we can learn from and support each other, and as we do, we will be encouraged and inspired. That is why I am personally inviting you and a team of mission-minded people from your church to attend our free Mission Summit from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1, at Northfield United Methodist Church. Here are five great reasons to attend:
1. We will learn from each other and worship together.
2. We will learn from experts in the field of disaster response, missionary salary support, Volunteers in Mission, and Minnesota Conference Advance Special projects.
3. We will listen to Patrick Friday from Global Ministries, and Ruth Wiertzema, a retired missionary to the Red Bird Missionary Conference in Kentucky, on the meaning of mission partnership—and from Judge John McBride, Minnesota Tenth Judicial District judge and associate pastor at White Bear Lake UMC, on justice from Biblical and secular viewpoints.
4. There will be an opportunity to pack health kits for refugees during the breaks and to write letters to Congress about Minnesota refugee resettlement.
5. You and your church will receive $50 in seed money to put toward the mission project of your choosing!
The event is free, but we would like to get a count of how many people might be coming. Register here.
I hope to see you there. Thank you for all you to do heal a broken world.
Rev. Lyndy Zabel is director of missional impact for the Minnesota Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Minnesota Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church