Hubbard United Methodist Church, in Hubbard, MN, invites you to participate in a two-day Breakthrough Renewal Institute, September 14-15, designed especially for churches of the North Star District, but including other United Methodist Churches in the region. The fee includes registration, Thursday dinner, Friday morning muffins and Friday lunch. Lodging options can be found on the last page of this flyer.
Our purpose is to energize you through worship, inspirational speakers, dynamic videos and great music. You will have the opportunity to attend several workshops, choosing from 15 breakout sessions covering topics important to all churches.
Institute speakers include Bishop Bruce R. Ough, President of The United Methodist Council of Bishops; Mark Miller, District Superintendent of the North Star District; Fred Vanderwerf, District Superintendent of the Southern Prairie District; and Laurie Kantonen, Pastor of Hubbard UMC.
Thursday, September 14
· Check-in 2 to 4 p.m.
· Opening General Session at 4 p.m.
· Evening Service Featuring a message from Bishop Bruce Ough and special music.
Friday, September 15
· Your choice of 3 Breakout Sessions.
· Featured Session with District Superintendent Fred Vanderwerf.
· Closing Session with District Superintendent Mark Miller.
When the Institute concludes at 5 p.m., we expect you’ll leave for home Refreshed, Renewed and Revitalized!
BREAKOUT SESSIONS: TOPICS AND SPEAKERS
Below is a listing of the Breakout Sessions that will be offered on Friday in three different time slots. When you register you will choose three, one each from each time slot.
Congregational Breakthrough Prayer
Cynthia Williams, District Superintendent, Minnesota River Valley District
Get Small to Go Big – Streamlining Church Leadership
- What does it mean to reclaim prayers as a central fiber of our life together? This breakout session will focus on the barriers to being a praying church and a praying congregation and how to overcome them.
Roger Grafenstein, Pastor, Grace UMC, Moorhead
Healthy Communication – Healthy Church
- Learn how streamlining church leadership has had a positive affect on the ministry and growth of the Moorhead congregation. A member of the congregation who serves on both the Vision and Mission Team and the Operations and Resources Team,will join the discussion.
Mark Miller, District Superintendent, Minnesota North Star District
Making it Work: Building and Maintaining an Active Youth Group
- Conflict and miscommunication destroy relationships and hinder churches from growing in love of God and neighbor, reaching new people and healing a broken world. Learn essential ways to avoid the common pitfalls that trip up congregations as they rebuild their churches. This session will be especially helpful for Staff Parish Relations Committee members.
Bill & Beth Daugherty, Youth Directors, Hubbard UMC
New Life in Small Groups
- Learn how to start and build a youth group from the ground up by developing relationships with area youth and keeping them interested and attending youth meetings. Discover how to share God’s word with those who have never met Christ, while helping those who know Christ to deepen their relationship with Him.
Fred Vanderwerf, District Superintendent, Southern Prairie District
Preaching With a Series—Format vs. Lectionary
- In this workshop discover the importance of intentional small group ministry to our mission of making disciples. Learn some tips and techniques one congregation used to equip new leaders, reinvigorate long-standing small groups, launch new groups, and move from being a church with small groups to a church of small groups.
Laurie Kantonen, Pastor, Hubbard UMC
Radical Invitational Hospitality
- This workshop will offer a rationale for preaching from a series rather than using the lectionary every Sunday, and offer some practical ideas and tips for using a series format. Church worship committees will find this information helpful in planning their worship services.
Hubbard UMC Panel
Reviving Your Social Media Presence: What One Church Learned
- Learn how to welcome people in ways that make them want to return. Sunday morning worship is not the first time most visitors come through our doors. Discover why Hubbard is know throughout the community as a welcoming church.
Lori Hughes, Member, White Bear Lake UMC
Seize the Day—Outreach to Children
- Discover the methods White Bear Lake UMC used to resurrect its social media accounts. The goal of this session is to provide participants with ideas and suggestions that can be immediately implemented to reinvigorate a church’s online presence. Lori is a freelancer in technical publishing and web design and administration.
Michelle Miller, Pastor, Wesley UMC, Crookston; and Barb McKewin, Pastor, Crane Lake Chapel UMC and Kabetogama UMC, Orr
The Detroit Lakes Story: Family Worship
- Both pastors will share the dynamic impact their after school programs for children have meant to their families, congregations and communities. Michelle will explain why a small group of dedicated leaders remain committed to F.A.S.T. (Fosston After School Time,) and Barb will describe how a small church transformed its once-a-year VBS to a weekly program.
Brenda North, Pastor, and Lisa Braun, Ministry Coordinator, Detroit Lakes UMC
WOW Worship (Worth our While)
- How did a successful Wednesday worship service come to be led by children? What is the secret to the growth of this family worship service? Brenda and Lisa will explain the how, why and what of this innovative and challenging program.
Hubbard UMC Worship Team and Mark Miller, District Superintendent, Minnesota North Star District
- The Hubbard UMC Worship Team will share how they work together as a team to make worship a "Worth Our While" experience. From planning to Sunday execution, they will share some ideas and techniques for helping the congregation—visitors and members—experience sacred time with God.
Hubbard United Methodist Church, 12150 Broadway Road,
Park Rapids, MN 56470. Hubbard is a small community about
four miles south of Park Rapids. Please contact the church at
218-732-0224 if you have any questions. The church’s website is: www.hubbardumc.com.
Early Bird registration is $60 per participant before July 18. After July 18, the cost is $85 per participant. If three or more lay persons from each congregation register, the pastor is invited to attend at no charge. The registration fee includes Thursday dinner, Friday morning muffins and Friday lunch. Participants are asked to make their own lodging reservations.
Northern Pines Camp: (UMC Conference Facility)
20033 County 1, Park Rapids, MN 56470
Ask for Carol Ford
www.americinn.com; 218-732-1234, 800-634-3444
1501 First Street, E., Park Rapids, MN 56470
Reference: Renewal Institute
www.cmoninn.com; 218-732-1471, 800-258-6891
1009 First Street, E., Park Rapids, MN 56470
Reference: Renewal Institute
1020 First Street, E., Park Rapids, MN 56470; No special rate.
Bed & Breakfast: Red Bridge Inn
www.redbridgeinn.com ; 218-237-7337, 855-237-7337
118 N. Washington St., Park Rapids, MN 56470 (on Fish Hook River, just off Hwy 34);
Ask for Robyn Capistrant
Jewel of the North:
39050 Twin Lakes Rd, Menahga, MN 56464 (about 4 miles SW of Hubbard);
Ask for Rick Pinnick