Investing in Congregations grants ranging from $100 to more than $30,000 are distributed annually to churches that demonstrate a potential, capacity, and commitment to reach new people, grow in love of God and neighbor, and heal a broken world. Funding can be used for new ministries, programs, and staff positions.
Investing in Congregations grants are funded through the Office of Congregational Development—and awarded for new ministries, programs, or staff positions. They ranged from $500 to more than $33,000 in 2016. A committee that includes both clergy and laity reviews applications each year and decides how to divide up the $200,000 in grant money that’s available through the conference’s apportioned budget.
Applications for 2017 grants were due Oct. 15, 2016. The next round of applications will be accepted starting in late summer 2017. Watch for more information.
The three types of grants available are:
• Major grants: Total $2,500 or more
• Micro grants: Total $2,500 or less
• Grant renewal: Projects can receive funding for up to three years. Grant money is reduced each subsequent year for projects that receive funding more than once, and the goal is for each one to become self-sustaining by the end of the three years.
Here’s a look at some of the 2017 grant recipients, along with how their grant funding is being used:
- Albert Lea (Southern Prairie) - Children's Ministry Rebirth
- Bloomington: Normandale Hylands (Twin Cities) - Children's Ministry and Outreach Specialist
- Browns Valley (North Star)- Mid-week Relaxed Worship
- Champlin (Big Waters) - Worship Reimagined
- Corcoran: Immanuel (Big Waters) - Children/Youth Director
- Detroit Lakes (North Star) - Children Youth Family Ministry
- Duluth - Hope (Big Waters) - Director of Children, Youth and Family Ministry
- Fosston (North Star)- After School Program
- Hopkins: Korean Evangelical (Twin Cities) - English/Youth Ministry
- Hubbard (North Star) - Summer Lunch/Safe Space
- La Crescent (River Valley) - Birth to 3 Ministry
- Maplewood: Arlington Hills (Twin Cities) - Karen Ministry
- Mendota: St Paul’s (Twin Cities) - Church Nursery
- Minneapolis: Living Spirit (Twin Cities) - Worship Arts Ministry
- New Ulm: First (Southern Prairie) - Homeless shelter
- North Branch: Main Street (Big Waters) - Family Ministry
- Park Rapids: Riverside (North Star)- Breakfast and Backpacks
- Pequot Lakes: Grace (North Star)- Discipleship Ministry
- Plainview-Elgin: Peace, Kellogg, Weaver (River Valley) - Multi-church community gardens and outreach
- Racine (River Valley) - Rural Connectedness
- St Anthony: Faith (Twin Cities) - Racial Reconciliation Initiative
- St Paul: Hamline (Twin Cities) - Green Team
- St Paul: Recovery Church (Twin Cities) - Celebrating Families Ministry
- Stewartville (River Valley) - Youth and Family Coordinator
- Virginia: Peace (North Star) - Family and Community Ministry - PORCH